Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Richards eager to prove his worth to resurgent Rovers

Eliot Richards will be casting an anxious eye on the weather ahead of Bristol Rovers' clash with Rotherham United.

Pencilled in for a starting place in last weekend's game against Oxford United at the Memorial Stadium, the young forward then found himself on the bench.

Pirates boss Mark McGhee had planned to use Richards and winger Mustapha Carayol in wide positions, but then decided a surface made boggy by heavy rain before the match would not be conducive to getting the best out of the pair.

So Richards is hoping that a better pitch at Sheffield's Don Valley Stadium will signal a recall this afternoon.

"When I got to the stadium last weekend and saw the pitch was a bit flooded, I knew it wasn't going to be the sort of surface me and Muzzy would want to play on – and the gaffer changed things around," said Richards.

"Hopefully it's a better pitch today – I've not been there before – and I'll be able to get a game."

Richards, 20, has become a regular starter over the last couple of months and, although he still sees himself as a striker, new boss Mark McGhee has employed him mainly out wide in recent weeks. But with the manager pledging to take a look at as many of his squad in action as possible, the young Welshman knows there is no guarantee of a place.

"I got dropped for the Morecambe game and knew when I came on from the bench I had to try and make an impression. I set a goal up and got back into the team for the Shrewsbury game," he said.

"When you are not starting, you are disappointed so you have to try and prove to the manager that you should be in the side.

"You don't really know what to expect when a new manager comes in. You could either be his star man or not in his plans, so you have to show him what you can do on the training pitch.

"We have been more solid in defence since he has taken over and we are getting better results than under the previous manager. You can see on the training pitch he knows his stuff."

Richards has netted six times this season – and will be hoping his knack of netting in away games continues today. Only one of his goals has come at the Memorial Stadium.

"Last season I wasn't really starting games, but this time I've had a few runs in the side and have scored a few goals, so, hopefully, that will carry on," he said.

"Most of them have been away from home, so it was good to score one at home against Bradford in front of the Blackthorn End.

"I still call myself a striker, but I don't mind playing out wide. I like both roles and I'll play anywhere."

phd course in india degrees in chemistry pesticide company india

0 comments:

Post a Comment